TheCanDo

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Veronica Jill Blumhorst

I just had to add this post after I saw this on the web. There is this girl who went missing back on September 20, 1990 named Veronica Jill Blumhorst. What I thought was interesting was that she was 21 years old when she disappeared, 5'0, 100 lbs, white female, blond hair, green eyes wearing off white courdory pants, a mint green tanktop, and a green sweater. I copied the following info from the website about her disappearance:

"Veronica Blumhorst was last seen leaving her place of employment in Mendota, Illinois during the early morning hours of September 20, 1990.
Blumhorst left work at Super Value Grocery Store, her vehicle was found parked in the garage of her residence just four blocks away from her place of employment the following morning.
Local law enforcement authorities were contacted and an extensive investigation was conducted, however Blumhorst whereabouts remain unknown.
In September 1991 dogs searched for the body of Veronica Blumhorst, in southern Lee County, including property surrounding the home of her boyfriend, but came up empty."

Now even if she has absolutely no connection to Tammy Zywicki, I would want to know if she ever wore any unique underwear. I wrote a previous post about continuity. Maybe I am wrong about how investigations should be run but to me that could be a possibility. I do not think Amanda Tusing's killer is Tammy Zywicki's killer, mainly because of geography. But this girl I do think could be linked possibly to Tammy's case, mainly because of geography. I think criminals do act in comfort zones, and I think where a person lives is a comfort zone. Again, this case, like Tammy's, is so darn old that whether or not the grocery store would have old credit card receipts or video, etc, to provide some sort of lead is probably gone forever.
I always think that one of the saddest things about Tammy's Zywicki's case is time. The thing about time is that it catches up with all of us. We alllllll get ours at the end of the day.
One of the biggest themes early on in the investigation for her killer was to keep her story alive, however that might be. One thing I could not help thinking, especially when I read newspaper articles, etc, was that it has been so long, that like time itself her story has slowly faded away. I could not help but think sometimes: "Today is July 30, 2008". And eventually I will fade away too, because there will not be anything else to write about, because I am no closer to solving her case than the pizza guy or the FBI. The only thing that will be left is an old blog that I will not add to in order to keep the focus on Tammy Zywicki. And deep down I realize all of this. Do not think I have not asked myself or guessed that others are asking, "Why does this matter to you?" I start to think that maybe she is like a girl that rejected me in college or something. You don't know when you don't know someone personally. But like a portrait, you learn to see the world from a different perspective, your own. In one of my history books is the following phrase: "Mutatis mutandis..... it is the same in writing and in the visual arts. You learn to discriminate."
That is why I chose Tammy Zywicki's case: because I remembered it. But her story matters for the same reason that Amanda Tusing's and Veronica Blumhorst's do: She was someone's daughter. She was someone's sister. She was someone's best friend.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At September 21, 2010 at 10:34 PM , Anonymous Todd Blumhorst said...

I am Veronica's brother. The two cases are NOT associated. We know who killed my sister ( from policeinterviews) but lack any evidence to convict. I have read her police report numerous times and know they are in no way associated. Tammy was more than likely abducted by a trucker / traveller. This area saw 3 missing persons / murdsrs in a year or so. Kahla Lansing was abducted in late Sept 1991 from Spring Valley. She was recovered in a barn near Dubuque, Iowa. She had been strangled. her murderer was convicted and sentenced to death in Bureau County Illinois.

 
At September 23, 2010 at 7:57 PM , Blogger J said...

Thank you for your comment. My blog is just myself trying to be an amateur web investigator. I try to come up with different ideas, most that have probably been thought of, others maybe not. It is about putting forth a different perspective.

I read about your sister's case and know most likely the killer is believed to have been her boyfriend at the time. There is nothing to suggest any of the four cases I write about in my blog is related to the others. Most likely her killer is the boyfriend. Most likely Tammy Zywicki's killer is the Peru, IL. suspect, Mr. Bierbrodt. I just try to put forth a different perspective.

It sounds like there is alot of evidence pointing at the boyfriend. I know this case recently hit its 20th anniversary. I wish you the best in the resolution of your sister's case.

 
At May 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to look at the area you are have blogged about. The police in that area "Children of the Cornland" have no police skills. They are only paid to write tickets and mostly to people who are outsiders. My personal experience living there for 18 years was like a nightmare. A stalker ex broke in my home and took my last breath with marine strangulation. He was charged with disturbing the peace as he was an alderman's son and a local. Prior to the attempt to take my life this stalker told me where I would be buried and that I would never see justice as that will be handled by his friends. I was lucky that he was so drunk at the time I managed to escape with my life. Criminals go free is they are locals and outsiders will get the death penalty and that my friend is the "Children of the Cornland" policy.

 
At May 26, 2011 at 6:51 PM , Blogger J said...

I am sorry to hear about your experience in that area. The guy must have had some serious connections in order to get away with a crime that at the very least should have been battery and almost certainly was attempted murder.

As to how this relates to Veronica Blumhorst, I understand your concern about the police. One time I was stopped by a police officer who asked me why I thought he stopped me, then when I said I did not know, remarked, "Take a guess genius." The point is that even though I write a blog trying to "help" police, I am not as much in favor of police sometimes as you might think.

The point is that there are good police and bad police officers. It all comes down to the individual. Whether it is small town police or experienced intelligent investigators, whether the case has alot of publicity at the beginning(Tammy Zywicki) or not(Veronica Blumhorst) sometimes crimes go unsolved because there is nothing else the police can do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home